Friday 4 September 2009

City Walk




Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of St. Paul's cathedral because I couldn't upload them but it was amazing! It was rather ironic to be standing on the steps of an ancient cathedral and be looking right at a Starbucks window across the street. It goes to show the inevitable change that comes with time. Regardless, I was amazed with the side and grandeur of St. Paul’s Cathedral, and it humored me to notice that the crowd of pigeons rivaled that of tourists.

Moving through Cheapside it seemed that the older market places were slowly growing into buildings with more height and steel. As we turned one corner, the Swiss Reinsurance Tower loomed above us. Just a block before we had happened upon St. Michael’s Church, a beautiful treasure tucked behind a coffee shop and other buildings. Going from stained glass windows to steel towers was a very abrupt change, but made for a very intriguing walk.

Finally, we made our way down to the Thames were we took the liberty of using our cameras for a while before we continued to The Monument. Two Pounds and 311 stairs later, we were standing on top of The Monument overlooking all the streets we had just walked along. It was great for getting perspective of where we had traveled in the last few hours.

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! I took an awesome art history class up at the salt lake center and I remember studying these places you're seeing. I am going to go see them someday too!

    ReplyDelete